Thursday, November 14, 2019

14 November 2012

Max has heard from the Italians regarding cooking offal; what about the Persians and the Greeks?

Wifey: The answer is yes! We cook all sort of intestines and internal organs and -a bit more disturbingly for me- testicles!

Wifey: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magiritsa

Wifey: http://kalofagas.ca/2010/04/07/kokoretsi-κοκορέτσι/

Greek in London: Oh gosh no idea! I'm vegetarian :)

Greek in Perth: I don't do offal. I'm still of the belief that offal is awful! If anyone thinks they can change my mind, however, I am willing for that challenge. I know the Greeks like pan fried chicken liver...I think it's awful. This is as far as my knowledge on offal goes lol

Max: So glad you used the Awful Offal line. I have been waiting, waiting ...

Max and Archie would like to cook brain, tongue, heart, liver, kidneys, tripe, tail, trotters, cheek, sweetbreads and blood - who has recipes they are willing to share?

Southern Italian: Find the recipe for Nduja! Ohhhh and make Trippa Alla fiorentina....

Southern Italian: And black pudding! And trotters boiled until soft and then finished in a sticky dark sauce. And poach the tongue then slice it and grill it! SO MANY CHOICES

Moses: A pie!

Max: Southern Italian you are brilliant. I will be going to your Dad! He'd be able to get me a sheep's head right?

Southern Italian: Easily. And ask him for recipes! Or ask Uncle in the front of the shop!

Northern Italian: As a vegetarian I am horrified but as an Italian I am impressed!

I have a number of good recipes from my Nonna's cookbook … let me know if you want 'Budino di Cervella' (Brain Souffle), 'Budellini di Agnello alla Lombardia" (Lamb's intestines Lombardian style), 'Coratella di Capretto' (Baby Goat Offal, Hunter style), 'Spezzatino di Interiora' (Tripe and Sweetbread Stew) … my god there are so many tripe recipes

Northern Italian: Omg I just found a recipe using donkey meat and snails …

Northern Italian: Seriously there is not one but two different Donkey Stew recipes, WHY?!?

Max: Send them through my dear! Also, we are being environmentally friendly and using ALL of the animal that has been killed

Northern Italian: Okay I will message you *after* I finish eating my ricotta and salad dinner. Feeling a little queasy right now lol

Max: You are an amazing brave vegetarian! :-)

Northern Italian: Out of all those recipes the only one I've consumed would be 'sanguinaccio' - it was actually really nice, that was years ago though!

Max: They are amazing recipes, and thank you SO MUCH for translating them for us. The chocolate blood pudding looks incredible!

Southern Italian: omg max can you email them to me too???

Northern Italian: I'll translate more this week, seriously I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the ol' family tripe recipe collection :P

No comments: