Sunday, October 20, 2019

20 October 2009

4711 was totally my first perfume too! Syd's youngest brother got it for me when he turned oh, about 25 maybe and decided to start buying his nieces and nephews presents. I still love him dearly for that first year of presents because he bought so well for us and I realise now how hard that would have been to do. It is funny how your youth takes on entirely different complexions once you reach the age of those you interacted with.

Isn't it illuminating when you take a complete stranger to a celebration that is familiar to you and unfamiliar to them and they think it is exotic - it really brings everything that is done into stark relief. Wifey's wedding was in a Catholic church (she is one of the 2% of Greek Catholics) and it was one of the most elegant and short ceremonies I have yet attended. I am tempted to ask for the running sheet just in case I ever have to do it myself - it only just pipped Jim and H's wedding because theirs was Protestant and we know Mother would not stand for that!

I think the most wonderful thing about the whole trip for me was the people. Without a doubt being able to chat to Jim and H, G, J, E, my Sisters and Wifey again without missing a beat, realising how much they have changed alongside my own change, and seeing just how good friends we still are was soothing and went a long way to making me happy to come home. I just assumed I would love or hate London on my return, not feel as if I never left! But now that I know I am still very much a Londoner I am not so afraid of being away from my town - after all, it is my friends that make me a Londoner :) I think the nicest thing was walking with Jim or my Sister and having them tell me that I had opened their eyes with my enthusiasm for the town last time I was there. Jim reminded me that I had urged him to look up all the time, my Sister still remembers old jokes of mine. THAT is London, what I did there, and no time spent away from there can negate those memories. And this time around everyone was sure to take me to places I had not been the last time - they all remembered my interests and what I loved and found me amazing places to see. It was just wonderful.

It was SO hot on Saturday, 39, and the Bell's went to Cott. It was heaving, you could barely see the sand for the flesh (too many winter tans though) and I was as happy as I was with my Sisters and Wifey dancing at 6am in the morning at the reception - which is a good place to be I feel, happy in two places in the world, not sad in both ...

See you in November ...

No comments: