Wednesday, October 16, 2019

16 October 2017

Me too.*

If all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote "Me too" as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.

Please copy/paste.

*at 50% of my workplaces since I was 18 - in two workplaces it was institutionalised sexual harassment that had nothing to do with who the victim was, it happened to every woman. I had one workplace fully documented, and they asked for the documentation before I left ... I kept it.

*at the University I attended, and with such severity that when I discussed it with other alumni and staff, they cried in public from relief that someone believed them.

*in the industry I work in now, condoned and perpetrated by peers in the positions that I have held before, and hold now.

ALSO, I WAS COMPLICIT THE FIRST TIME I WORKED IN THIS INDUSTRY, AS I CONTINUED TO WORK WITH THE PERPETRATORS.

*I can contact almost all the perpetrators (who harmed me or people I know) through Facebook, LinkedIn or email. I could find their mobile number with only one text to a friend. One of the most multi-faceted perpetrators I experienced is still a Facebook Friend (this is incomprehensible to me even as I write this, and yes, they can see this post, but they will not know it's about them, because they think they get away with it).

*I could commission a movie script, and create an entire cast and crew with the perpetrators I know that have Australia-wide whisper networks about them.

No comments: