Thursday, September 26, 2019

26 September 2006

Story for today: in my English tute with Andrew Lynch I made a vaguely bemused comment about the translation of Sir Launfal we were studying and hushed the class in horror - it was Andrew's translation and apparently he mentioned it in the lecture but I guess it must have been at the start of the lecture because I totally missed it. Talk about EMBARRASSING! I went red and hot and prickly. This is also not the first time I have ever made this kind of gaffe with Andrew, I did it in my first ever unit with him almost five years ago :(

Although Andrew is my favourite tutor ever because each tute he manages to make an observation about my manner of thinking that is entirely flattering. He is also convinced that I am a teacher! My tute presentation at the start of the semester prompted him to ask me if I had done teaching since he last saw me. And today when I admitted that I had been in London for two of the last three years, he again asked me if I had been teaching over there. Bless his cotton socks! :)

***

Today was also a good tute day: in the before-tute discussion I called a character a strumpet and the rest of the tute were so taken with the word that Andrew headed out to his dictionary to give us the origin of the word and the tute really bonded over the word. For the rest of the tute the presenter would deliberately use the word, the tute would start laughing and I would keep score as to how many times my word was used. Good times.

No comments: