Sunday, July 29, 2012

29 July 2003

From the email: 
To be quite honest, I am sitting here in what could be a set for one of the Ruth Rendell telemovies and I find myself waiting for Inspector Wexford to knock on the door. My home for the next four days is very cool; the top apartment in a terraced house in a series of tiny streets of curry houses, pubs, terraced houses, pubs, long narrow picket-fenced cottage gardens and pubs. 

But I'd have to say that it was the handy flight plan on the TV on the plane that defined my journey. I found the only thing that kept my mind off how very sad I was feeling about leaving everyone behind for so long was watching the land over which I was flying. I really started getting excited over the Caspian Sea and once we hit the Carpathians the flight attendants would take turns to ask me to return to my seat because I had my nose pressed against the glass of the exit windows. Over Germany the attendants got REALLY shirty, there was a lot of turbulance but the sunrise was unreal. The best part was actually about 30 minutes before we got into Singapore ... a lightening storm above the cloud layer against the sunset ... spectacular. 

Once into Heathrow I was interviewed by an immigration officier who spent more time holding forth on the phenomenon of Australian passports smelling of fish than asking me about my VISA. One confused gentleman tried to make off with my luggage at the retrieval but I managed to head him off and there was NO customs (hehe). I was waiting for Monica in the lounge and I saw a Bobby, a Black Cab and a car rental agent holding a sign for Mrs Primrose Taylor-Barrington. Welcome to England.

No comments: