Wednesday, June 20, 2012

20 June 2005

From the diary:
I am having such a brilliant time being the undeservingly deported. I have a very charming line in self-pitying humour that manages to amuse while it emphasises that I am very wronged by fate. I am in a very good mood now that I am going out every night now. It really is my lifeblood, this meeting of people each day to make me think different thoughts. I am so reactive that I can only think my best thoughts on the go.

2012
I distinctly remember the difficulty I had with finding an equilibrium between enjoying my last months in London and wanting to wallow endlessly in my sadness at leaving. I found the most effective way to cope with the complex feelings was a wry and acidic comedy routine that tore Perth apart while showing my London cool factor. One of my most treasured comments from my last two months was a friend exclaiming at the news I was leaving to go home; 'But you are such a good Londoner! You can't leave!'

No comments: